The Marine Protected Areas Research Group focuses on all aspects of the establishment and management of marine protected areas within the context of integrated coastal management. We believe that interaction amongst committed individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives provides an enriched environment for advancing knowledge regarding MPAs. The group undertakes research on all aspects of MPAs, ranging from institutional assessments and social surveys through to basic biogeographical studies on marine and coastal ecosystems. Active research programs have been or are currently underway in Canada and throughout much of the developing world including Southeast Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
- Friday, Jan. 20 – Geog Lecture Series – Geography Grad Students: Emerging Graduate Research Findings
- Philip Dearden: Trudeau missed an opportunity to stand tall
- Making Real Progress on Marine Protected Areas in Canada
- Professor Dearden was awarded the Canadian Association of Geographers Award for Scholarly Distinction (2016) for his career contributions to research
- Biggest Marine Cleanup in Canada Challenges Vancouver Island’s West Coast Waters