Several member of the Marine Protected Areas Research Group have recently won awards in national scholarship competitions. MPARG post-doctoral fellow, Lance Robinson, was recently awarded a post-doctoral award from the Social Science and Human Research Council (SSHRC) valued at $38,000/year for 2 years. His post-doctoral research focuses on protected area governance in Tanzania. Doctoral student Bruce Downie, whose research will also focus on protected areas in Tanzania, was also awarded a SSHRC Joseph Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship valued at $35,000/year for 3 years. For her research which will focus on tourism in marine protected areas in Thailand, master’s student Skye Augustine has also been awarded a SSHRC scholarship. For more information about the projects that these MPARG members are working on see the Graduate Students page or Projects page.
- Friday, Jan. 20 – Geog Lecture Series – Geography Grad Students: Emerging Graduate Research Findings
- Philip Dearden: Trudeau missed an opportunity to stand tall
- Making Real Progress on Marine Protected Areas in Canada
- Professor Dearden was awarded the Canadian Association of Geographers Award for Scholarly Distinction (2016) for his career contributions to research
- Biggest Marine Cleanup in Canada Challenges Vancouver Island’s West Coast Waters