The Marine Protected Areas Research Group focuses on all aspects of the establishment and management of marine protected areas within the context of integrated coastal management. We believe that interaction amongst committed individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives provides an enriched environment for advancing knowledge regarding MPAs. The group undertakes research on all aspects of MPAs, ranging from institutional assessments and social surveys through to basic biogeographical studies on marine and coastal ecosystems. Active research programs have been or are currently underway in Canada and throughout much of the developing world including Southeast Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
- Managing the social impacts of conservation
- New article: An appeal for a code of conduct for marine conservation
- Why people matter in ocean governance: Incorporating human dimensions into large-scale marine protected areas.
- Friday, Jan. 20 – Geog Lecture Series – Geography Grad Students: Emerging Graduate Research Findings
- Philip Dearden: Trudeau missed an opportunity to stand tall