A group of colleagues and I have just published an open access paper titled “An appeal for a code of conduct for marine conservation” in Marine Policy. In this paper, we propose that:
- Poor governance and social issues can jeopardize the legitimacy of, support for and long-term effectiveness of marine conservation.
- A comprehensive set of social standards is needed to provide a solid platform for conservation actions.
- This paper reviews key principles and identifies next steps in developing a code of conduct for marine conservation.
- The objectives of a code of conduct are to promote fair, just and accountable marine conservation.
- A code of conduct will enable marine conservation to be both socially acceptable and ecologically effective.
Abstract: Marine conservation actions are promoted to conserve natural values and support human wellbeing. Yet the quality of governance processes and the social consequences of some marine conservation initiatives have been the subject…
View original post 309 more words